In this slog we shall talk about counting steps and worst
case scenarios for Big-Oh. This is the topic in which we have to actually
understand how each line in python works. This particular topic was quite difficult
for me to understand in the lectures. I had trouble grasping the concept of
which lines have to be executed one after the next. However, Madina, my TA,
made it a bit easier for me to understand this particular topic.
We were presented with this question for the quiz.
This was the code given to us for sum_up
def sum_up (n):
i = 0
s = 0
while i < n:
j = i
while j>= 0:
s = s + 1
j = j - 1
i = i + 1
return s
At first I had
no idea really how to start with this question. However, I tried to remember the
steps Madina showed us in how to read and understand each line. The first
question was, what do sum_up(0), sum_up(1) and sum_up(2) return?
For sum_up (0),
it returns 0
For sum_up (1),
it returns 1
For sum_up (2),
it returns 3
The general expression
for what sum_up (n) returns is (n (n+1))/2
We were
required to write steps to explain our thinking.
The outer while
loop iterates i < n for the values i = 0 …..n = n-1 and the inner while loop
iterates for values j = i ……0. Thereby, s would keep going through the sums on
each of the iterations once it is satisfied.
Therefore n-1
Σ (i
+ 1) = (n(n + 1))/2
i < n
I have also browsed through many different slogs in which I though all of them were so unique filled with so many great ideas, creativity and interpretations in problem solving for this course. However, I found one that stood out impeccably for me. Take a look!
http://www.soohamrafizslog165.blogspot.ca/
I have also browsed through many different slogs in which I though all of them were so unique filled with so many great ideas, creativity and interpretations in problem solving for this course. However, I found one that stood out impeccably for me. Take a look!
http://www.soohamrafizslog165.blogspot.ca/
No comments:
Post a Comment